Is your computer lagging behind you on Windows 11 or 12?
This issue often happens when you continuously work on your system for many hours, as a laggy keyboard can drive you up the wall, especially when doing something significant. If you are a developer, writer, or programmer, this issue can slow you down when punching lies on it.
So, before troubleshooting the issue, ensure the keyboard is causing the problem.
Therefore, to fix the problem, the most essential thing you can do is change the keyboard’s properties, reinstall or update a new keyboard driver, and run the Windows keyboard troubleshooter. However, if that’s not the case, here are some ways to resolve why my keyboard lags.
You can do some easy fixes to avoid input lag.
Alter The Keyboard Properties
One of the most straightforward ways to resolve the problem of a lagging keyboard is by changing the properties of the keyboard.
- Click the Win +R keys together and type the control keyboard in the following field of the run dialogue that will open.
- By clicking Enter, it will open the keyboard properties window. There, you will see the option to adjust the repeat delay and repeat rate. The repeat rate will enable you to adjust the speed at which this input is repeated. At the same time, a repeat delay will set up the delay between pressing the holding key and the start of the repeated output of the key.
- Shorten the repeat delay and increase the repeat rate to remove the input lag. This step may need additional tips before finding the sweet spot, but there is an easy taste box in the keyboard properties to help you find the right balance.
- When you find the additional repeat rate and delay, press OK at the bottom to save it and exit.
Update And Reinstall The Keyboard Drivers
The function of your keyboard drive is to determine how to deal with external hardware like your keyboard. If your keyboard driver is old, your system will try to communicate with the hardware. An outdated driver is a super cause of your lagged keyboard.
So, with the following steps, you can fix the issue.
- Press the Win + S keys together to open the search utility.
- Click open on the device manager.
- Choose the update driver from the context menu by right-clicking on the keyboard driver.
- Click on search for the drivers automatically if your computer has an updated version comes with. It will notify you, and you can take further steps to install it.
- Alternatively, you can find updated drivers on Windows update and install the updated version.
Disable Filter Keys
One of the most accessible features to find the reason for lagged keyboards is instructing the window to ignore brief or repeated keystrokes. This can be a potential reason for a delay out of your keyboard.
So, you have to turn off the filter keys on your keyboard with the following steps.
- Open settings in the start menu
- select ease of access and go down to the keyboard section from the right pane.
- Look for using the filter keys on your keyboard
- Under this option, you will find a toggle button; if it is enabled, disable it and close the setting option.
If you are working on Windows 11, you will see an option to turn off the filter keys in settings> keyboard> filter keys. Now, try to type something to check if it still lags.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is my keyboard glitching so much?
If your keyboard is working abnormally due to operating system-related issues, the most important reason can be outdated keyboard drivers.
How can I fix the keyboard lag on Windows 11?
You can fix the issu by connecting and disconnecting the keyboard, checking the cable connections, and if the cable is not damaged or broken.
What causes the input lag?
Your game’s graphic and resolution settings can significantly affect the input lag as they define how much your graphic card has to render with each frame.
So that’s all. Why is my keyboard lagging?
It would be overwhelming if your system stopped working in the middle of your game because of the lagging keyboard. The issues mentioned above are the leading cause of being lagged keyboards. The resolutions are made easy with the efforts and attention I have tried to offer in the blog. However, if the delayed issue of the keyboard persists, try to reset factory defaults and perform a system restoration.